Thursday, February 6, 2014

Pinterest Pinwheel Sandwiches

I recently joined a twins club here in Seattle and once a week, there's a little get together with other members. We each take turns hosting each other at our houses. Last night was my turn so I had to whip up something for everyone to snack on. After several hours exploring Pinterest, I settled on pinwheel sandwiches. I didn't snap "real" photos so these iPhone photos will have to do, but you get the idea. Though I prefer meat on my sandwiches, the wrap with veggies was just as good as the one with turkey and bacon. Plus these were basically my own recipes, as I combined ideas that I saw online. I love it when a plan comes together.

Turkey, bacon and guacamole
Veggie 

Turkey Bacon Guacamole Pinwheel (approx. 6 servings):

1 container of turkey deli meat
3/4 cup guacamole
1/4 cup ranch dressing
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
8 slices pepper jack cheese
1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
8 strips of bacon (cut it up into 2"x2" squares before cooking it)
4 veggie tortillas

Veggie Pinwheel (approx. 6 servings):

1 cup pickled carrots*
1/2 cup pickled red cabbage*
1/2 Red onion, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1 container of hummus
1 tbsp. capers
4 veggie tortillas

*Quick pickling: shred veggies and place in separate bowls with 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and half of a fresh squeezed lemon. Add pepper to taste and let sit for 15 minutes.

How to make a pinwheel: start with your spread first (guacamole or hummus in the examples above). Spread it across one side of your tortilla. Then sprinkle ingredients over the spread and roll up the tortilla. Slice the tortilla log into 3 to 4 pieces and place a toothpick in the middle of each. I've found the toothpick really helps the roll maintain it's shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment